This project is read-only.

Max Limit

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the hard work. I have over 1,500 files in my project, and the Xbox 360 seek time issues were causing horrible problems.

That said, I wanted to alert you: there seems to be some sort of hard maximum before an exception being thrown in an mscorlib.dll call somewhere. I'm not sure what causes it, at some point around 15 MB (500 files spread out over around 12 folders), the .pak file can be created, but can't be subsequently loaded.

It wasn't a huge deal; I just had to split everything up into six .pak files or so. Still, thought I'd let you know. = D

- Jason

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Thank you. It's good to get some feedback!. I haven't had a proper chance to test it in real world conditions, so I'll take a look now that you've found this bug. Can you give me some rough numbers on how much it improved the loading times?

Thanks,

Aranda

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Thanks alot for this. Seems to work great on PC.

However, on 360, I get the exception mentionned by Feep.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
Additional information: Value does not fall within the expected range.

I'm not convinced it's a size thing however. More like an alignement issue?

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM

After working a bit more on this. Seems Feep was right in the first place.

There really seems to be a 10-15mb limit. I worked around it by creating a couple of paks for now.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Thanks for reminding me about the problem! I couldn't figure it out originally but I've finally worked it out now. Grab the latest source for the fix (only changed PakFile.cs).

It appears that Stream.Read() does not like reading in large chunks of data. I was previously reading the whole Pak file in one call which appeared to work but the data would not exist after some point. I've changed it to read 32K chunks at a time and the problem seems to be gone.

If you can post back, I'd be interested to hear what sort of improvements it's made to your loading times.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM

That fixed it!

Thanks! This really sped up my loading times.